Tuesday, October 17, 2017

"I'm Writing A Musical" - Seven Months Later

Words can't even begin to express how incredible this journey has been, but I'm a writer, so I suppose I'll have to make them work.

On April 8th, 2016 (at least, according to the date on my earliest Word documents), I was struck with an idea. It wasn't so much of a grand plan for a spectacular production as it was a fun project to keep me busy. What it has grown into, however, is more than I could have ever asked for.

On October 15th, 2017, this crazy, ambitious figment of my imagination finally became reality. Percy Jackson: The Musical played at the Oakes Ames Memorial Hall in Easton, Massachusetts. We had a cast of thirteen awesome local actors ranging from age twelve to seventeen who had been working tirelessly since mid-July to make this show happen.

There are a few people I'd like to thank, the first being my awesome assistant director, Catherine. She was one of the first to read my script and provided the encouragement I needed to get started on the production. Next, my parents, who blindly trusted that this wouldn't be a complete disaster and helped with the logistical matters. My brother, Shane, who was coaxed into taking on the lead role but ran with it and elevated it to the best it could have been. My sister, Zoe, who has helped me with every aspect of writing, composing, casting, and directing, since the beginning. The rest of my incredible cast who put up with my antics for three months and dealt with uncomfortable costumes, difficult harmonies, and too many lines. I hope everything was worth it for you guys, because you performed terrifically. And, of course, everyone who came to the show. Thank you all!

One downside of putting on a completely independent production was the fact that we could only have one showing, and tickets were rather limited. Fortunately, however, we took a video; you can view it here. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment